ምርት 9የዝግጅት ጊዜ 15 MINUTES የመጋገሪያ ጊዜ 20 MINUTES ጠቅላላ ጊዜ 35 MINUTES
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- 1/2 cup (115 ml) lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
- 2 Tbsp ማር
- 1/2 cup (115 ml) warm milk
- 1/3 cup (75 g) butter, melted (weigh the butter first, then melt it)
- 1 ጨው ጨው
- 3 እንቁላል, በትንሹ ተደብድበዋል
- grated rind from an orange and a lemon, organic
- 4 cups (570 g) all purpose or bread flour, or more if needed
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tsp of milk, for glaze
- ውስጥ አንድ የዳቦ ማሽን (the link goes to the one I have, but there are many less expensive ones) or stand mixer, place the lukewarm water, yeast and honey. Mix the milk, melted butter, beaten egg together, then add to the yeast mixture along with the grated citrus rind.
- Add the flour, 1/4 cup (50 g) of sugar and salt, and turn on machine (dough setting on bread machine or use a dough hook if using a stand mixer.) Mix by hand if you aren’t using a machine.
- Dough will be slightly sticky. Allow cycle to finish on dough setting. With a stand mixer, or by hand, when the dough is ready, cover it and let rise on the counter until doubled in size.
- After it’s risen, punch down the dough, and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut small pieces of the dough and shape into round balls, and place onto a greased cookie sheet I weighed mine so they would all be of equal size, but it's not necessary. If you do want to weigh them evenly, the large part is 100 grams and the top is 20 grams. This made exactly 9 topped brioche. If you want to make plain brioche without a top, you'll end up with about 11 large brioche buns.
- For the top, shape the 20 gram pieces of dough into a ball and then elongate one end. This is the end that will go into the main part of the brioche.
- Once the large and small balls are shaped, make a deep indentation in each brioche bun.
- Now, push the elongated part of the small ball into the dough, and repeat this for all of them.
- Place the tray in the oven (do not turn it on) to rise for about half an hour or until doubled in size. (I put a large cup of boiling water in the oven for steam, so the buns don’t get a crust).
- Once doubled, remove the buns from the oven then turn it on to preheat to 350º F (175ºC.) Gently brush the brioche with the egg glaze.
- Bake the buns for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Place them on a cooling rack until ready to serve. Enjoy as you wish, but I highly recommend a cream topped granita!